|Securly Classroom Monitoring FAQs
Student security is a top priority at GCA. One of the tools that our teachers use to ensure students are safe, engaged, and on task is Securly Classroom. The Securly Classroom tool allows our teachers to:
- choose to view the screens of their students
- push out URLs that they share during class
- encourage students to stay on task during class time
- promote academic integrity during assessments
- and more!
As we roll out the use of Securly on all devices, not just the GCA Chromebook, you may have some questions.
How does Securly work when a student is using a personal computer?
- A student using a personal computer is expected to sync the GCA Google account in a Chrome browser. Need instructions? Click here.
- When a student is working in that synced browser, Securly Classroom will be on and teachers can ONLY see what is happening in that browser window.
- Securly Classroom does NOT allow monitoring of any other browser window, app, or desktop on the personal computer.
What about a personal Chromebook?
- When using a personal Chromebook, the student should be logged into the device with ONLY the GCA Google account. This works to sync the student's GCA Google account in the Chrome browser of the device.
Why do I need to sync the GCA Google account in its own Chrome window?
- In addition to Securly Classroom, syncing the student GCA Google account in Chrome offers valuable access to GCA Bookmarks, the Champion Portal page, and all the extensions and apps that are pushed out to student accounts. It also allows our Single-Sign-On access to streamline the connections between all student programs.
When are teachers monitoring students?
- Teachers are only monitoring students during their scheduled class or assessment times during the school day.
- Teachers and staff who work with students have the ability to use Securly Classroom, allowing us to keep the online learning environment safe for all students.
What can teachers or staff actually see on my personal computer when I'm working in a synced GCA Google account in a Chrome window?
- Only activity taking place in the synced Chrome window of the student's GCA Google account is visible. Any other browser, app, desktop, or even other Google accounts in other Chrome windows are not visible to the teacher using Securly Classroom.
- If the personal computer has multiple Google Chrome accounts, it is imperative that the GCA account ONLY be used by the GCA student! Should any other individual use the GCA account during school hours, and complete any task or visit any site that is not school-related or considered inappropriate, disciplinary action and/or consequences may fall on the student as the actions will have taken place within the student's account.
What if I would rather have a GCA Chromebook?
- In the event that your family is uncomfortable with GCA using Securly to monitor the student on a personal device, a GCA Chromebook can be provided for the student.
- Please understand that Securly Classroom has been implemented as a tool to help hold all students to the same accountability standards and is not intended to be an invasion of privacy. We will NOT be monitoring any activity on personal devices other than during scheduled class time(s) and can ONLY monitor students within their synced Google Chrome browser.
- If you would like to request a GCA Chromebook for your student to use for school, please reach out to your FEL and he or she will assist you.
Have questions about the use of Securly during Assessments? Click here.