|Read&Write: How to Download|
Only students who have been pre-approved to use this tool will need these instructions.
Read&Write is an extension in Google Chrome that allows for the following accessibility features.
- Text-to-speech to hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud
- Using speech-to-text, dictate words to assist with writing, proofreading, and studying
- Word prediction offers suggestions for current or next word as you type
- Collect highlights from the text in documents or the web for summarizing or research
- Create and listen to voice notes directly inside Google Docs
Follow the instructions below or watch the video to download Read&Write.
1. In the student's Chrome browser, go to the Chrome web store. Type texthelp in the search field.
2. From the choices that appear, choose Read&Write for Google Chrome with the purple icon.
3. Choose Add to Chrome and then Add extension
4. Note the pop-up confirming the extension has been added.
5. Pin the extension to the top of your Chrome browser window with the push-pin icon. First click on the puzzle piece icon, then find the Read & Write extension and pin it.
6. Using Read&Write in a Google Doc can be done with the drop-down of the purple puzzle piece that shows the toolbar for Read&Write.